Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day: Observations



Today I stopped into a bakery because I gave into my sweet tooth (I know, I know!) There were two ladies behind the counter. While one lady was helping me, her co-worker asked her if the shoes she had on were her new ones. I noticed that they were a very nice pair of Nike running shoes. She cracked me up when she stated that they came with purple shoe laces which she switched out for white ones because she felt like Barney! I had to laugh out loud since my daughter grew up on Barney which told me her age!!! I felt old, anyway, my laughter had drawn attention to me, so she looked me in the eye and said, "THESE are what I got for Valentine's Day from my husband and they are NOT very romantic."

Female Perspective Key Observation: Women, most women, adore romance, even long for it in a way that speaks to them.

While that perspective is spot-on allow me to also share the rest of her story:

"My husband told me (evidently she had complained) "You always said that the foundation of a good gift was one that you would not get for yourself but truly wanted." She agreed with him but again stated to me that it was not very romantic.

She told me he explained further, "Honey you needed new tennis shoes, I saw that you really liked these. Plus, I knew you would not buy them for yourself." Again she looked at me and stated that it was not very romantic. Plus, this was the second time he purchased shoes for her on what she felt was a major event.

My mind, believe it or not, when to the male perspective and my heart ached a little for him:

Ladies!!! Pay attention here: Yes, it would have been more romantic if inside the shoe there was a note instructing her to take a walk which would lead her down a path upon which she would find a picnic with all her favorite foods that he would then feed to her.... eh hem, just a suggestion...Now, back to his perspective:

1. He LISTENED to her. He listened, listened, listened....WOW!

2. He knew her shoe size!!! I love Love LOVE shoes, perhaps a little too much, but he knew her shoe size!!!!

3. He quoted her BECAUSE HE LISTENED!!

I think she completely missed the point as we all do from time to time. But the thing I took away was that he had listened. We must notice more often when someone has listened to us and then ask ourselves how well we actually listen.

I hope to always be mindful and notice these very key points from another person's perspective and be ever so grateful when "he" listens!

I'm outta here!
Chel

Happy Valentine's Day!! Tell me how your loved one listened today!

No comments:

Post a Comment